Skip to main content

Inbound exchange - Frequently asked questions

Why should I do an exchange at UOIT?

Please visit to learn about the many reason why you should chose to study at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).

How can I get more information about doing and exchange at UOIT?

The International office is happy to answer any questions you might have pertaining to an inbound exchange at our university. Please email us with any questions or concerns you might have.

How do I get nominated for an exchange at UOIT?

If you are interested in doing and exchange at our university, you must be nominated by your home institution before you apply to study here. Once you have been nominated, your nomination will be sent to UOIT's International office. When the nomination has been accepted, you will be sent information about the application process.

Is an English language proficiency test required for an exchange?

An English language proficiency test is not required. Partner schools will nominate candidates for exchange only if they meet UOIT’s English language proficiency requirements. 

What do I do once I have been nominated?

Once you are nominated, please complete the online application. After entering the initial information, select the Incoming Exchange Student to complete the remainder of the application. Please note: You will be required to upload both of the following:

  • Your current transcript.
  • A letter of recommendation from your host university. This letter indicates that you are recommended by your university to come to UOIT as an exchange student.

How long does it take to get an acceptance letter?

Acceptance letter are generally sent out by the end of May If you have not received an acceptance letter, please contact the Admissions office.

Do I need to accept my offer?

Once you have received your acceptance letter, you should confirm your acceptance with your home institution. This information should be sent to UOIT's International office.

Once you have accepted your offer, the International office will contact you about course registration. If you have further questions, please contact us.

What are the fees to do an inbound exchange at UOIT?

As an inbound exchange student, you are required to pay the following fees to UOIT for the term(s) you are here:

  • University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
  • U-Pass for local transportation

How do I find out how much money I owe?

Follow these steps to find out how much you owe for UHIP and U-Pass:

  1. Visit the MyCampus website.
  2. Login using your username (your nine-digit student ID number) and password (your date of birth in mmddyy format).
  3. Select Student Information – UOIT.
  4. Select Registration.
  5. Select Account Summary by Term. Refer to the Paying your fees section in this guide for information on paying your tuition.

How to pay the fees you owe

Upon arrival at UOIT, please go to the cashier at the Registrar’s office, located in the U5 Building.

When and how can I register for courses?

Courses become available at the beginning of July for each academic year.

When is the closing date for course registration?

Fall 2015

  • Course selection for the Fall semester (September to December 2015) will close on Wednesday, September 23. 

Winter 2016

  • Course selection for the Winter semester (January to April 2016) will close on Friday, January 22, 2016. 

How do I get to UOIT from the airport?

To learn more about navigating from Pearson International Airport to UOIT's campus, please visit the Transportation from the airport page.

Do I need health insurance?

All international students are required to have health insurance. As an inbound exchange student, you will be registered for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Please contact the International office to learn more about UHIP fees, how to receive your coverage card, and what your plan covers.

Can I live on campus?

Students can choose to live on campus (based on availability) or off campus. 

University of Ontario Institute of Technology logo