Inbound exchange - Frequently asked questions
- Why should I do an exchange at UOIT?
- How can I get more information about doing and exchange at UOIT?
- How do I get nominated for an exchange at UOIT?
- Is an English language proficiency test required for an exchange?
- What do I do once I have been nominated?
- How long does it take to get an acceptance letter?
- Do I need to accept my offer?
- What are the fees to do an inbound exchange at UOIT?
- When and how can I register for courses?
- When is the closing date for course registration?
- How do I get to the UOIT campus from the airport?
- Do I need health insurance?
- Can I live on campus?
Please visit choose.uoit.ca to learn about the many reason why you should chose to study at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).
The International office is happy to answer any questions you might have pertaining to an inbound exchange at our university. Please email us with any questions or concerns you might have.
If you are interested in doing and exchange at our university, you must be nominated by your home institution before you apply to study here. Once you have been nominated, your nomination will be sent to UOIT's International office. When the nomination has been accepted, you will be sent information about the application process.
An English language proficiency test is not required. Partner schools will nominate candidates for exchange only if they meet UOIT’s English language proficiency requirements.
Once you are nominated, please complete the online application. After entering the initial information, select the Incoming Exchange Student to complete the remainder of the application. Please note: You will be required to upload both of the following:
- Your current transcript.
- A letter of recommendation from your host university. This letter indicates that you are recommended by your university to come to UOIT as an exchange student.
Acceptance letter are generally sent out by the end of May. If you have not received an acceptance letter, please contact the Admissions office.
Once you have received your acceptance letter, you should confirm your acceptance with your home institution. This information should be sent to UOIT's International office.
Once you have accepted your offer, the International office will contact you about course registration. If you have further questions, please contact us.
As an inbound exchange student, you are required to pay the following fees to UOIT for the term(s) you are here:
- University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
- U-Pass for local transportation
How do I find out how much money I owe?
Follow these steps to find out how much you owe for UHIP and U-Pass:
- Visit the MyCampus website.
- Login using your username (your nine-digit student ID number) and password (your date of birth in mmddyy format).
- Select Student Information – UOIT.
- Select Registration.
- Select Account Summary by Term. Refer to the Paying your fees section in this guide for information on paying your tuition.
How to pay the fees you owe
Upon arrival at UOIT, please go to the cashier at the Registrar’s office, located in the U5 Building.
Courses become available at the beginning of July for each academic year.
- Course selection for the Fall semester (September to December 2015) will close on Wednesday, September 23.
- Course selection for the Winter semester (January to April 2016) will close on Friday, January 22, 2016.
To learn more about navigating from Pearson International Airport to UOIT's campus, please visit the Transportation from the airport page.
All international students are required to have health insurance. As an inbound exchange student, you will be registered for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Please contact the International office to learn more about UHIP fees, how to receive your coverage card, and what your plan covers.
Students can choose to live on campus (based on availability) or off campus.