University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
A University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) premium is added to the account of international students registered in classes at UOIT. The current premium can be found in the Money Matters section. Exceptions to the premiums are made only for students who are on various government sponsorships.
UHIP coverage will begin at the start of the semester month in which a student begins their studies. For Fall start programs, students will have coverage from September 1. The UHIP coverage period ends on August 31 and will be reinstated for students continuing their studies for the following academic year. If a student arrives before September 1 they should notify the International office for assistance.
UHIP coverage is compulsory for:
- All international students (excluding sponsored students).
- All international visiting scholars and researchers.
- All international exchange students.
- Recent permanent residents.
- Returning Canadian citizens in their three-month Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) waiting period.
- Eligible dependent family members.
Access your UHIP plan online
Please refer to this easy, step-by-step guide to registration for your UHIP card.
As a UHIP member, you can register on the My Sun Life website using your assigned UOIT email address.
This gives you online access to:
- Download the Sun Life Mobile App.
- Print your coverage card and customized claim forms.
- Replace your card if you lose it.
- See your available health coverage.
- Sign up for direct deposit of your claims reimbursements to your bank account.
- Track the status and details of your claims.
Submitting a claim
Health insurance for graduating students
When an International student graduates from UOIT, the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) will automatically be terminated at the end of the convocation term (e.g. if a student has convocation in June, their UHIP will automatically be terminated by the end of August unless otherwise requested). Currently, Sun Life Financial, health insurance provider for UOIT’s international students, does not have a health insurance plan for students once they have graduated.
Short-term UHIP extension
Students are allowed a one-time extension with Sun Life Financial. Since students are automatically enrolled until the end of the convocation term, the extension is automatically applied (this extension can be removed if requested). Only one extension is allowed under the UHIP contract.
Example: If convocation is in June, a two-month extension will be applied, making August 31 the UHIP termination date.
Health insurance options after graduation
If an international student stays in Canada past the end of the convocation term (August 31), they are responsible for finding a health-insurance provider and acquiring health insurance.
Students may wish to research the following providers for provincial replacement insurance/OHIP replacement insurance:
For more information, please contact the International office.