Skip to main content
Are you okay? Emergency/Crisis UOIT Home

Post-graduation work permits

To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This is an open work permit that allows you to work for any employer and does not require you to first have an offer of employment.

If you are intending to apply for permanent residency after you graduate, most of the categories you are or would be eligible for would require you to maintain your temporary resident status in Canada. The PGWP is a way for you to do this while you apply for your permanent residency.

PGWP frequently asked questions

  • Who can apply for the PGWP?

    To review your eligibility requirements in detail, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website

    Main requirements:

    • You have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.
    • You have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration.
    • You have completed and passed the program of study and received a written notification from the educational institution indicating that you are eligible to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate.
    • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (i.e. final transcript, official letter, or formal notification of graduation) from your institution indicating you have met your program requirements.
      • (For example, if you write your final exams in April, you can get your Official Letter verifying program completion by mid-May.)
  • What if I studied part-time in my final semester?