Skip to main content

Income tax

In Canada, completing an income tax form and sending it to the government is referred to as filing a tax return. You must file a tax return if you:

  • Earned income from employment.
  • Received a scholarship, bursary or fellowship while in Canada.

By filing your tax return, you are often eligible for a refund if you have had any of the following income or expenses during the tax year:

  • Income from assistantships such as a Tutorial Assistant (TA) or Resident Advisor (RA).
  • Rent expenses off campus.
  • Salary or hourly pay (company issued T4 slip).
  • Scholarships (university-issued T4A slip).
  • Tuition (you must get a T2202A form issued by the university).
  • U-Pass (transit pass issued by the university).


In Canada, the tax year goes from January 1 to December 31. Income tax forms must be completed and submitted by April 30 of the following year. For example, you must mail your completed tax forms for the 2017 tax year (January 1 to December 31, 2017) by Sunday, April 30, 2018.

Please review the International Tax Filing presentation created by the UOIT Accounting Association.

The presentation explains:

  • Who needs to file taxes.
  • What your residency status is for tax purposes.
  • What documents you need and where to obtain them.
  • The various tax credits and deductions you may be eligible for.
  • The free tax-filing clinics taking place at the university.
  • Free software you can use to file your taxes online.
  • Whom you can pay to file your taxes for you.

Volunteer Tax Clinics

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) organizes volunteer tax preparation clinics each year. To find out the location of the clinics nearest you where you can get help with your tax documents and filing your tax returns, visit the CRA website. 

On-Campus Tax Clinics

The UOIT Accounting Association runs free tax-filing clinics on campus every March.

2018 Tax Clinics

Where: Simcoe Building, J-Wing, Room 125

When: 6 to 9 p.m. on:

    • March 12
    • March 14
    • March 19
    • March 21
    • March 26
    • March 28

International and exchange students are asked to first review the International Tax Filing presentation to ensure they are eligible to use the tax clinics, and to learn about which documents are required.

If you have any questions about these clinics or the presentation, contact

International students are responsible for filing their own taxes, much like domestic students and other Canadian permanent residents and citizens.

Canada Revenue Agency

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the government body that oversees tax filing in Canada.  

Contact the CRA directly if you want to:

  • Determine your residency status in Canada for tax filing purposes.
  • Find out if there are any tax treaties between Canada and your home country that will affect you.
  • Inquire about your past tax returns or documents received by the CRA.

Professional accountants

You will want to go to an accounting firm (such as H&R Block) or visit a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA). There are dozens in the Oshawa area you can search for. You will want to ask for their rates to compare costs of service.

UOIT Accounting Association

The members of the UOIT Accounting Association are students at our university who are currently studying Accounting or Finance. They are available as a resource and starting point. 

Contact them at or

University of Ontario Institute of Technology logo