Preparing to leave
Please review the following items to consider before you depart for your exchange:
Why are you participating in an exchange?
What are your goals?
- short terms goals
- long term goals
- scholarships and bursaries
- financial assistance
- complete an income and expense worksheet
Accommodations and transportation:
- When you arrive – transportation from airport to accommodations.
- Where you will stay – short term and long term agenda.
- How to commute safely during your stay.
- keep a journal/blog
- get a guidebook
- banking overseas (currency exchange, bank account, transferring funds)
- money (e.g. emergency funds)
- proof of immunization
- mail, phone, email
- health insurance
- external hard drive
- credit and debit cards
Things to do:
- Be mentally prepared for your journey.
- Make sure your passport will not expire during the time you are away. Some countries require that your passport be valid for six months after your planned return.
- Arrange for the appropriate visas and/or permits.
- Arrange for method of banking.
- Make copies of all important documents (e.g. credit cards, passport, health insurance, telephone numbers/addresses).
- Leave a copy of important documents with someone at home.
- Register online with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development's Registration of Canadian Abroad (ROCA).