Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Why should I consider doing an international exchange?

  • Participating in an international exchange is a unique learning experience.
  • Students are able to learn about another culture, country, and language.
  • Students are able to compare and contrast academic knowledge and enhance or gain a global perspective.
  • It is a valuable experience that can be applied to all levels of academic, personal and professional growth.

Where can I go?

Students are able to apply to any of UOIT’s international exchange partners. A list of current partners can be found under the International Education tab. The partner list can change over time; therefore, we recommend that students refer to this list frequently for updates.

What will be the language of instruction?

It is important that students research the institution and courses they are interested in studying to confirm the language of instruction. The UOIT website will state the primary language of instruction. It is important for students to confirm the courses selected are in the desired language of their choice.

When can I do an international exchange?

Students can do an international exchange once they have completed two years of study at a Canadian university. Generally, the exchange will occur during the third or fourth year. It is important for students to review their academic requirements before pursuing the international exchange application.

International exchanges can begin in any semester. Students will find they have more courses to choose from in the fall and winter. If a student is interested in participating in an exchange during the summer semester, he or she must research the partner institution to find out which courses, if any, are offered during that time.

What is an international exchange partner?

An international exchange partner is a university outside of Canada that has signed an exchange agreement with UOIT. In this agreement, both parties have decided to participate in an academic exchange for a period of time. The agreement generally ranges from three to five years and is faculty-specific. The partner university is able to send students to UOIT, and UOIT students are able to study at the partner institution. This agreement enables students to study at an international institution while maintaining their UOIT status. Students continue to pay the UOIT tuition and are not considered international students. 

Do I have to go to an exchange partner institution?

UOIT students do not have to do an exchange at a partner institution. If a student decides to study at an institution that UOIT does not have an exchange agreement with, the student will be subject to international student fees. In addition, the student will have to request a Letter of Permission (LOP). If approved, this letter will permit students to leave UOIT for a period of time to study elsewhere.

It is the student’s responsibility to find out from their faculty whether the courses they receive during their study abroad can be applied towards their UOIT degree.

How long can I go for?

Students have the opportunity to participate in an international exchange for one or two semesters, depending on their academic requirements. They should discuss their exchange and academic requirements and options with their faculty. Depending on the course offered at the partner institutions, students may be limited on how many courses they are able to transfer towards their UOIT degree.

Our university currently has agreements that allow students to study abroad for:

  • eight weeks (summer institutes only)
  • four months
  • eight months

How much will it cost?

Students will continue to pay their UOIT tuition when participating in an international exchange with a partner university. Please review scholarships and costs. The additional costs a student may incur while participating in an exchange could include, but are not limited to:

  • visa/passport fees
  • immunization/medication and extended health insurance
  • flight and transportation arrangements
  • accommodations and living expenses
  • personal expenses

Are there any scholarships or bursaries I can apply for?

Yes, students are able to apply for the UOIT International Education Scholarship. Our university is pleased to provide allocated funding through the support of the UOIT International Education Scholarships for students completing part of their academic program abroad through their faculty with approval.

This scholarship will provide eligible students with financial support for a set period of academic study, work term or co-op placement outside of Canada. Please refer to the Scholarships and bursaries page for award value and eligibility requirements.

Can I earn course credits?

Students are able to earn credits that can be transferred towards a UOIT degree if the course credits are approved by their faculty. They should contact designated faculty members with the name of the international institution, the program, and the courses of interest. Following faculty approval, Academic Advisors will be able to assist students in deciding if the exchange course work and the faculty approval will allow them to graduate.  

Can I go on an exchange as a part-time student?

International exchanges are only for full-time UOIT students. This is a requirement stated in the international exchange agreements. Please contact the International Education for further information.

When should I apply?

Please refer to the application deadlines. Partner institutional deadlines for nominations and application may vary. If a student is interested in doing an exchange, it is important that they contact the International Education or attend an Outbound Exchange Information Session. Students should consider what semester they are interested in doing an exchange, and when the specific courses they require are offered. Courses for your exchange may be chosen two to three months before departure. Schools release their course offerings at different times. It would be helpful to refer to courses offered in the previous academic year.

What is the application process?

Please refer to the How to apply section on the website.

Can I do an exchange with a friend?

All UOIT students who would like to participate in an international exchange during their third or fourth year of study are welcome to apply for an exchange through the International Education. Applying does not mean a student will be nominated by the International Education. Student nominations for an exchange are based on academic standing, faculty requirements, availability, and individual motivation. If students would like to go on an exchange with a friend(s), they are welcome to go through the application process. There are no guarantees a suitable match will be found and a nomination given based on social request. The exchanges offered at UOIT are founded on the primary focus of academic priority.

Can I do my placement on an exchange?

Students can do an international placement at a partner institution if approved by their faculty. International placement opportunities may vary depending on program requirements. Student must discuss placement options and requirements with the placement co-ordinator within their faculty.

Where will I live during my exchange?

Every international institution has different arrangements for exchange student accommodations. Students should research the institution of choice and inquire about on- and off-campus housing options. 

What does it mean to be nominated?

To be nominated for an international exchange means the International Education has reviewed your application, course requirements, study plan and faculty approval, and has agreed that the student would be a prominent candidate for an exchange at the desired institution. At that point, the International Education will contact the host university and officially nominate the student for the course and program he or she applied for.

How do I apply to the host institution?

Once a student has been nominated, he or she will need to apply to the host institution by the application deadline. Application processed vary depending on the university. Please refer to your school of choice to learn more about its exchange application process.

How long does the application process take?

Students must give themselves enough time to learn as much as they can about the options available to them, the courses that are offered, and their program requirements. Please refer to the International Education deadlines for submitting outbound exchange applications. These deadlines are flexible but are suggested as a guide to support students in the application process. An important factor to consider is the time it takes to find appropriate faculty-approved courses.

How should I prepare for my exchange?

Preparing for your exchange should be exciting, fun and organized. The International Education will help you by inviting you to attend a pre-departure orientation session. During this session several things will discussed regarding your exchange, and questions and concerns will be addressed. Students will be provided with a pre-departure guide that will outline important things to considering when doing an exchange. They will be responsible for taking initiative in much of the preparation.

Here's how students can prepare:

  • Learn about the institution (courses, faculty members, international co-ordinators, etc.).
  • Understand course expectations and prepare a detailed study plan.
  • Learn about the culture, environment, climate and geography of the host country.
  • Acquire language training if possible.
  • Understand the risks associated with travel and submit a student travel risk form to the International Education.
  • Attend a pre-departure orientation session.
  • Learn about health risk, health insurance and local medical centres.
  • Arrange all accommodations and transportation requirements before departing.
  • Find out which Canadian Consulates are closest to where you will live.
  • Consider beginning a journal or blog about your experience.
  • Inform family, friends and professors about your future plans.

Will I need a study visa?

All exchange students will require a study visa. Students are responsible for applying for the study visa and ensuring they have the visa prior to departure. If you require further information, please contact the International Education.

Can international students participate in an exchange?

Similar to domestic students, international students will need to maintain student status as registered full-time students at UOIT. International students who wish to participate in an exchange must renew their Temporary Resident Visas at least three months before leaving Canada if they will require readmittance into Canada. 

University of Ontario Institute of Technology logo